Friday, March 24, 2017

The End is Beauty


 Why do I go backpacking?  Why spend all of that money on the latest and lightest gear?  Why drive six or seven hours or more to get to a place where I can punish my poor body.  Why walk for miles carrying forty or fifty pounds on our aching back.  Why do I wear my feet into a bloody, blistered mess? 

It’s the beauty. 

One must walk thirty miles and ascend twelve thousand foot Muir Pass to get to McClure Meadow.  One might even be too exhausted to take it all in when they make it.  But that beauty is just stunning.  The beauty takes one’s breath away.  After seeing these places like Thousand Island Lake or pitching my tent on a peninsula in Rae Lakes I come away a different person.  The beauty somehow fills my soul in a way like the way my stomach is filled by a gourmet meal.  No, that does not even come close!


One person has said that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder. “  Whoever said that was claiming that beauty is subjective.  What may be beautiful to me may not be to you.  And whoever said that probably did not stand in the middle of Yosemite Valley or perch on top of Mount Whitney.  No relativistic justification for beauty needs to be given in these places.  In the glory of a solid granite monolith with a 100-foot waterfall  cascading into a lake below beauty is universal.  And I will say it even more strongly, beauty is universal because beauty emanates from God. Beauty is the character of God.  He creates beauty, He exudes beauty, He is beauty. 

As divided as the people of our nation can be at times over politics, I have never heard a disagreement about the beauty of that first view of Yosemite Valley or the glory of an evening sunset over a High Sierra Lake.  Beauty is good.  It is objectively good because it comes from God. 

I am not saying we should worship beauty or worship creation.  But beauty compels us to know that there is something more, something deeper, something behind it all.  Beauty is evidence to me that God is real and He is alive and active in our world.  He never seems to tire of creating sunsets!  He did not just start creation like a fully wound watch and then leave on vacation.  He is at work now. He is constantly creating beautiful things.   

David said in Psalm 27, “One thing I have asked of the Lord…to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord…”  God is beautiful.  And I think it is real safe to say that God is far more beautiful than anything we have ever seen on a backpack trip in the mountains, along the coast or in the painted desert gorges.  God is far more beautiful.   When we stand in God’s beauty we will be deeply moved and overwhelmed with joy. 

Somewhere along the line of bad ideas someone said that Heaven is going to be a place in the clouds where we sit around all day and play a harp. Boring!  But nothing could be more false.

I might be more interested if someone said that Heaven was an endless backpack trip in the beautiful mountains. At least then I would have that beauty that draws me and fills me.

But if God who created all of this beauty we backpackers think about the other 355 or so days of the year also created Heaven, what are we worried about!  Heaven will be marvelous. 

I must admit that I don’t despair that I won’t get to backpack all the great places on earth.  If I don’t get to New Zealand or Hike the Yukon I won’t be disappointed.  I won’t miss out!  Heaven will blow those places away. 

And I have not even mentioned the most beautiful thing of all. Or I should say the most beautiful Person of all: Yahweh.  Oh, to gaze at the wondrous majesty of the lover of our souls!  One look at Jesus will make the sunset over the Lost Coast Trail look like a trash dump in comparison.  And we will be drawn in and filled by this beauty.  We won’t have to learn to like it as we did our vegetables or freeze dried beef stroganoff.  He will appear to us as the most beautiful and magnificent thing we have ever experienced.  And this beauty will be inexhaustible.

Here is what I mean.  As much as I love exploring the canyons of Utah, I must sadly admit that after several days the gorges and gulches can be a bit redundant.  My beauty nerve gets a little dull and I don’t enjoy it as much as at the start.  But in Heaven the beauty will continuously increase.  We will not ever get to a place where the beauty gets old or “you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all” sort of situation.  As we increase in our experience of God our experience in the joy of beauty will always be new and fresh and more beautiful than before.  And each day we will wonder how it will get any better.  That is what our future with our beautiful God will be like. 
““What no eye has seen,
    what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”
[b]
    the things God has prepared for those who love him—“ 1 Corinthians 2:9

Backpacking in all the beauty of our world makes me long even more for Heaven and being in a deeper presence of my Heavenly Father because I know it will be overwhelming beauty.  And it won’t just be a visual experience but a whole self-experience.  Our entire senses, mind, heart, emotions, and soul will experience this beauty of our God. 


I often sit during the winter time and long for the beauty of the trail.  I am learning more and more to long for the beauty of my ultimate destination and my ultimate beautiful God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment